Reception difficulties are often the result of a weak signal. In some cases, even in areas with marginal signal coverage we will find a way to provide you with perfect reception, we carry four different types of antennas, each antenna has different characteristics and chosen to better suit your area. Under the extreme circumstances we may recommend satellite services.
Basic rule, if it isn’t broken don’t fix it!
The only time you will need to do anything to your antenna system is if your antenna is more than seven years old and the reception is breaking up in windy and or rainy days or loss of signal in the evening or at different times of the day. At Sunland TV Service our technical staff can advise you if require antenna repairs or the TV is malfunctioning. Most of the new “Smart TVs” will not perform satisfactory if the antenna is not set up correctly, you may find that the old TV works OK, breaks up only now and again, but the new set that you just paid over $2000.00 is unwatchable and possibly not even picking up some stations, you do not have a faulty TV but a defective antenna. That is when you need Digital antenna upgrade!
The defect is often caused by the deterioration of the antenna, the masthead amplifier, the co-ax cable, the connectors, the fabrication or assembly method and the quality of the equipment. Because of our coastal location there is a lot of salt content in the air, even up to 15km inland an antenna can be found to be damaged by corrosion, realistically 5 to 7 years is the life span of an antenna on the Coast . Ironically the same antenna installed in Brisbane or further inland will last 10 to 15 years.
You may find that your antenna has only lasted just over 2 years, the antenna used in your installation may have been an cheap replica or you chose to go with a cheaper quote . Hopefully you used a reputable installer that is still trading and didn’t charge you for something better than what you got! If your back yard is the surf, you have done well, unless the technician has advised you to install a stainless steel antenna, then you should have doubled it’s life span.
If you have any concerns or questions please call and talk to us , we will do our best to offer the unbiased advice.
The estimated cost of an antenna system can range between $250.00 and $750.00.
A note from experience:
Over 90% of phone calls we get as an authorised service center is “The Digital signal especially one channel is continuously breaking up, we have had another firm check the antenna and it’s all good, so it must be the TV!”
Three things come into play here;
- The manufacture or the extended warranty company will not cover ‘no fault found’ with the digital receiver, you will need to pay for the workshop investigation.
- If you have had your antenna repaired or replaced and this does not fix the fault you probably did not need to spend the money and because it does work with a set top box does not signify that the receiver in the television is faulty, you may still have an antenna issue. Any reputable antenna installer has to be able to read faults with the antenna system before he or she replaces the antenna and the digital signal has to work on all the TV’s in your house especially the brand new units.
- Use a reputable antenna installer, sure, give the little guy a go! But if you want professional service, with no gimmicks and no long winded sale pitch call us. We will definitely be able to do the job better.
Obstructions to signals
A number of factors can lead to poor digital TV reception. These can include:
- Weather conditions, which can cause digital reception to break up or pixelate
- Signal obstructions, such as the immediate local terrain, foliage, buildings and trees
- An inadequate or excessive signal (yes too much signal can be as bad as not enough)
- Impulse noise, interference, which can be generated by household items like appliances, light switches or hairdryers
- Inadequate antenna or antenna system (This is often material purchased from DIY store)